Monday, February 27, 2012

The Excitement is Mounting!

So the car has finally made it into Dad's garage. Grandpa and Jim (the gentleman we are doing the other 2 cars for) was kind enough to venture down from the frigid North to the beautiful weather of the South. They made it Wednesday afternoon, but because of work and school (yay) I could not make it until Thursday. But as all of you have probably figured out I didn't really sleep much in anticipation of getting to see it and work on it, In fact I was up at 5am and went out to my garage and sanded. For anyone that knows me they know that I must have been really excited of I was sanding. So on to the fun!

Let's first talk about the doors. Dad had gotten these done prior to this adventure starting but I have to throw it in because it is part of the progression. here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure...



I meant to do a progression of me putting the trim on but I got caught up in the work. As part of the excitement I will also throw in a fun video for you to enjoy...



As part of the doors there is a little rain gutter that goes on the top of the door. I know some of you are thinking "what is the point of a rain gutter when the car is completely open?" It is about as pointless as putting a lock on it (some of you will find this funnier than others). But needless to say Ford put it in and so shall we. Here are a couple of pictures so you can see what it looks like...



Because I know some of you reading this post like the technical side. The first step of the process we laid the door flat and cut the depth of it on the table saw. Then we took the router with the bowl nose bit to cut the groove. Then we 1/4 inch rounded the top portion and then I sanded the inside groove to be rounded since you can't get a bit into that small of an area. So now rain will never get on us ever again. Until it rains...

Stay tuned for more on our exciting weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what else you post about the crazy yet absolutely fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad - - - it was GREAT to be with you this last week. One thing after I watched your video - - THE STEERING WHEEL IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR!!! :-)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOved this Post!!! By the way did you add another bag of sawdust with all your sanding?? You know I am still keeping track :)-so excited to see the final project!

    ReplyDelete